"One of the hazards of hanging around with writers is that they may write about you."
[Updated 10/28/12] Here is an amazing list of other Tumblr writing community pages/projects/tags that work hard to expose readers to great writing. Find new writers to read, discover talented people to interact with, find new readers to share your work with. Please contact us if you are affiliated with a TWC focused blog, and would like to be added to this list, (or if you need something updated). You can always find this list by checking the links bar on the Burning Muse page.
Note: Cleaned up dead links, or pages that have been inactive for quite some time.
Reblog Blogs (special focus/features will be notated)
- TWC Welcome Center: Community. Answers questions.
- For The Voiceless: Lesser known TWC writers. Fresh Talent.
- Critical Inking: Feedback.
- The Writer’s Bloc: Advice. Prompts.
- Tumblr Fiction: Fiction. Prompts. Interviews.
- The Poetry Revolution: Prompts. Forms.
- Monday Muse: Submissions. Contests.
- Exhaling Catalysts
- The Reject’s Corner
- Not Without These Words
- Tumblr Writers Directory: Directory of Tumblr writing blogs.
- Home For Writers: Submissions. Critiques.
- We Write We Speak: Discussion topics.
- What is Poetry?: Pieces about what poetry is.
- Fuck Yeah Slam Poems!: Slam Poetry. Spoken Word.
- Beyond The Barricades: Socially aware writing. Revolutionary words.
- For The Love Of Literature
- Out Of Academia
- You In Second Person
- Poetry Sluts United: Sensual and erotic prose/poetry.
Lit Mag/Book Associated Blogs [current or future]:
- Yeahwriters: Prompts. Lit Mags list. Critiques.
- Velvetblory: Publication. Accepts submission. Quarterly book.
- The London Mag: Prompts and inspirations. Associated with The London Magazine [Not Verified].
- A Literation: Lit Mag run by Tumblr writers, publishing Tumblr writers. No dedicated page as of yet, but this is a link to one of the founding documents.
TWC Groups and Projects, other than reblog blogs
- #twcp: If you have a project that you would like to share with the community, please include this tag. (Note: This is for project descriptions. Not personal writing.)
- #twcplagiarism: If someone re-posts your work without credit (please give the person a few days to fix their “mistake” before posting a link to their blog).
- #twctips: If you have a platform/formatting tip that might be helpful to the community, please include this tag. (Note: this is not meant for opinion pieces.)
- #twccsurvivetumblr: If you would like to write a post with tips on how new writers can “Survive Tumblr” please title it: How to Survive the Tumblr Writing Community. It can be positive, negative, or neutral… and include this tag. Please see the posts already up as examples.
- #TWC Tumblr Birthday:If you want to share that it’s your blog’s birthday.
- #The Feedback Project: Feedback. [Keep in mind, giving makes receiving more likely.]
- #Poetryintheraw: Feedback. Original description. Not sure if your piece is poetry? [Keep in mind, giving makes receiving more likely.]
- #Writing About Writing: Writing about… writing.
- #Writing About Tumblr: Writing about… Tumblr.
- #rejectscorner: Tracked by the Reject’s Corner.
- #Spilled Ink: LEGACY: No longer “active”, but still monitored by most reblog blogs.
- #SpilledinkProse: LEGACY: No longer “active”, but still monitored by most reblog blogs.
Genre Days Tags
- #Making Love Monday: Romance
- #TMI Tuesday: Non-Fic
- #Windmill Wednesday: Fantasy
- #Transhuman Thursday: Sci-Fi/Speculative
- #Femme Fatale Friday: Noir/Mystery
- #Sensual Saturday: Erotica
- #Sinister Sunday: Horror
The Tumblr Books
- Bookstore [currently being maintained by poeticallyundead]
- The Tumblr Library
- Books by Writers on Tumblr owned by Noelle
Tumblr Platform Tips
[letter from Egon Schiele to Anton Peschka, 1910]
I wish to leave Vienna, very soon.
it is here.
Everybody is envious of me and deceit-
ful; former colleagues
look at me
with dissembling eyes, in Vienna
only shadow, the city is black,
is done by recipe. I want to be alone.
I wish to visit the Bohemian Forest.
May, June, July, August, September,
October; I have to see new things and
learn about them, want to taste
dark waters, to see crashing trees
untamed air, want to look in wonder
at moldy garden fences
how they all live, young birch
groves and hear the shaking
leaves, want to see light, the sun
and savor wet green-blue
evening valleys, feel goldfish
gleaming, see white clouds
amass, to speak to flowers,
flowers. Grasses, to look deeply
upon pink people, know to say old
dignified churches small
cathedrals, want to run off without
heed over round field-
mountains through wide plains
want to kiss the earth and
smell warm marsh marigolds,
then I will give shape with beauty-
In the early morning I wish
to see again the sun
rise and be able to watch
the breathing earth glimmering.
Now then active being! I!
be always eternal current.
You me green valley, you look
green water-air fills you, you.
I cry, out of half-open eyes
red, large tears, when I
can see you. You pain-eye;
you feel the wet forest wind.
You who can smell, how wonderfully
you must breathe divine breath.
Friend, crying, I laugh
Friend, I think of you
in me there is you.
Lay there … until I hear.
Buy me a panel that I sent
to the hunting exhibit,
I keep it that short, why say it any
differently, for I want to be free
as soon as possible everything oppresses me
Mary Oliver, A Poetry Handbook (via litverve)
“I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear.” —Joan Didion
1. Show up.
2. Pay attention to what has heart and meaning for you.
3. Speak your truth without blame or judgment.
4. Be open to outcome, not attached to outcome.